The original Lanner & District Silver Band was formed in the mid 1890's. Sadly, due to the considerable emigration of would-be musicians to countries such as South Africa (mining being the primary cause), it disbanded in 1902.
The band was reformed in 1965, and in those early days practised in a chicken shed in the garden of Lanner resident Daisy Moyle. Mrs. Moyle later became the band's first 'Life Member'. As the band attracted more members they outgrew the chicken shed and moved to a bandroom at the top of Lanner Hill. From these humble beginnings a strong youth band emerged, and as time went by these young players progressed into the senior band, thus helping to sustain its development. Eventually, even the Lanner Hill Bandroom became too small, and a concerted effort from the players and committee members resulted in the purchase, in 1983, of the old chapel on Lanner Moor, which is the present band's headquarters.
Lanner & District Silver band has progressed from its early days in the fourth section of the Cornish and national ratings, and is today one of the finest bands in Cornwall - no mean achievement in a county which has around 40 brass bands. It has represented the South West area at the National Finals and won many other contests throughout the south west. The band's finest achievement came in April 2003, when they were crowned West of England 2nd Section Champions. This promoted the band to the 1st Section and gained them qualification to the National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain. The success continued later that year when, at the finals, the band achieved a magnificent 3rd place.
The band owes its success to a string of Musical Directors, committee members, players and supporters (past and present) who have made Lanner & District Silver Band a part of their lives, and a huge debt of thanks goes out to each and every one.